Purpose of the Board of Education
In accordance with the General Statutes and Town Charter, the West Hartford Board of Education is the duly constituted authority of the Town of West Hartford in all matters relating to the organization and operations of the schools.
The Board of Education shall act as a policy-making and appraisal body, delegating all administrative functions to the Superintendent of Schools and her/his staff. The Board of Education shall have the following responsibilities:
- Identify and interpret the needs and values of the community for the Superintendent.
- Adopt an annual budget.
- Select, review, compensate and if necessary, dismiss the Superintendent.
- Establish broad board policy.
- Engage in periodic long-term district-wide planning.
- Affirm or amend district mission framework regularly.
- Affirm or amend district goals and related indicators regularly.
- Review the programs and performance of the schools.
- Recommend capital improvements to the Town Council.
- Educate and engage the community in the life of the schools.
- Other actions as required by law or regulation.
- Advocate with legislators, Town Council, and other policymakers on behalf of the West Hartford Public Schools.
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes:
1-200 Definitions (“Public Agency”)
10-186 Duties of local and regional boards of education . . . 10-220 Duties of boards of education
10-221 Boards of education to prescribe rules, policies and
10-240 Control of schools
10-241 Powers of school districtsBylaws 8100, 8110, & 8370:
Adopted October 1987
Combined and Revised to create new Bylaw 8100: June 3, 2014