Letters of Recommendations
Do I request my teacher recommendations through the Common APP?
How are my recommendations sent to colleges?
How many recommendations should I ask for?
How do my teachers know where to send my recommendations?
How do I know if my letters of recommendation have been sent?
Should I use outside recommendations? My coach/employer/neighbor is willing to write one on my behalf?
How do my SAT/ACT scores get sent to schools?
I am on free/reduced lunch. How will I pay for my college applications?
It is a 3 step process:
1st Quarter Grades, Semester Grades, Final Transcripts
How do I know if it is required to send 1st Quarter grades to my schools?
How do I send my 1st quarter and/or my semester grades?
My college/university is asking for my final transcript to be sent over the summer. How do I ensure that they receive it?
Last Revised 11/18/16
Fall: Common Application Workshop (more information to follow)
Winter: FAFSA/Financial Aid Workshop TBD
See collegeboard.org or act.org for more information.
ASVAB - Students should visit the Career Center to see the next available testing date at Conard. Test is offered twice per year (Nov and Feb).
College Admissions Officers are Definitely Checking your Facebook Page
Trouble starting your essay? Check out these opening lines from students who were accepted at Stanford this past year.
LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF
First lines from the application essays of Stanford's newest class- First impressions matter
- Unlike many mathematicians, I live in an irrational world: I feel that my life is defined by a certain amount of irrationalities that bloom too frequently, such as my brief foray in front of 400 people without my pants.
- Sitting cross-legged on the floor of a Bhimanagar slum dwelling in Bangalore, I ran my fingers across a fresh cut on my forehead.
- I almost didn't live through September 11, 2001.
- When I was 8 years old, I shocked my family and a local archaeologist by discovering artifacts dating back almost 3500 years.
- When I was in eighth grade, I couldn't read.
- While traveling through the daily path of life, have you ever stumbled upon a hidden pocket of the universe?
- The spaghetti burbled and slushed around the pan, and as I stirred it, the noises it gave off began to sound increasingly like bodily function.
- I had never seen anyone get so excited about mitochondria.
- Cancer tried to defeat me, and it failed.
- I stand on the riverbank surveying this rippled range like some riparian cowboy - instead of chaps, I wear vinyl, thigh-high waders and a lasso of measuring tape and twine is slung over my arm.
- I have old hands.
- Flying over enemy territory, I took in Beirut's beautiful skyline and wondered if under different circumstances I would have hopped on a bus and come here for my vacation. Instead, I saw the city from the window of a helicopter, in military uniform, my face camouflaged, on my way to a special operation deep behind enemy lines.
- My younger sister Jessica arrived home one day reeling about the shirt that her friend had worn to school. It had simply read, "Genocide, Homicide, Suicide, Riverside"
- I'll never forget the day when my childhood nightmares about fighting gigantic trolls in the Lord of the Rings series became a reality. Sword in hand and clad in medieval samurai armor, I dragged myself into the battleground as I faced my opponent, a warmongering giant.
- Good Grief! You never would have guessed that an unassuming meek lovable loser like Charlie Brown would have an influence on anyone, but indeed he has.
- Some fathers might disapprove of their children handling noxious chemicals in the garage.
- I was paralyzed from the waist down. I would try to move my leg or even shift an ankle but I never got a response. This was the first time thoughts of death ever crossed my mind.
- As an Indian-American, I am forever bound to the hyphen.
- Journey to Gulu's outskirts and you will uncover the scene where education was raped 11 years ago; some Ugandan teens also lost their innocence in exchange for their lives.
- I have been surfing Lake Michigan since I was 3 years old.
- On a hot Hollywood evening, I sat on a bike, sweltering in a winter coat and furry boots.
- I change my name each time I place an order at Starbucks.
10 colleges where you'd best apply early
U.S. News & World Report has released a list of the 10 universities where early application yields the greatest advantage.
Early decision and/or early action acceptance rate
Non-Early Acceptance Rate
Difference in Acceptance Rate
Lehigh University (PA)
Johns Hopkins University (MD)
College of William and Mary (VA)
Cornell University (NY)
University of Notre Dame (IN)
Brandeis University (MA)
Duke University (NC)
University of Pennsylvania
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill